Where in gel is DNA?

Marieke R. Koedood Zhao rkoedood at bu.edu
Fri Aug 29 13:58:37 EST 1997

Just take the 'pink' bit (fluorescent bit), because that's where your
DNA is. The non-fluorescing parts is eg. underneath the slot or on
top if your DNA didn't quite fill the slot.

Good luck.

Marieke

Dr. Volker Blaschke (vblasch at gwdg.de) wrote:
: Dear fellow researchers,

: I am trying (more or less successfully) to extract PCR products from
: agarose gels. So far, I have been cutting out the slices from the lanes,
: thus having a lot of gel mass to start with.

: I have noticed that when I had the slices "flat" on the
: transilluminator, that the fluorescence is mainly located on the UPPER
: part of the gel and not evenly distributed over the whole depth of the
: slice, and this is also true when having EtBr-stained the gel for an
: hour or so, so that for sure the whole slice is evenly soaked.

: So, should I still take the "whole" slice or just excise the small "top"
: fraction?

: Any input is highly appreciated...

:    Volker

: Dr. Volker Blaschke