frozen section of mouse embryos

Z. Zhao zxz4 at PSU.EDU
Fri Aug 29 13:18:49 EST 1997

> Hello,
> I would like to make frozen sections of late stage mouse embryos (18.5
> days) for in situ hybridization with a picture of the whole embryo. I
> cannot make a good sucrose infiltration with the whole embryo or even
> half
> of the embryo resulting of bad cuttings.
> Is it the same for paraffin sections. Does anybody has experience with
> that
> stage?
> Thanks, Catherine

Did you decalcify the bones of the embryos before cutting? I personally
do not believe that sucrose infiltration is critical for frozen
sectioning. Make sure that the embryos are completely frozen
because they are pretty big. How did you freeze the embryos, by the way?
Paraffin sectioning is much easier in terms of obtaining good sections,
but you still need to decalcify the bones.

Zhiyong Zhao