What orange or yellow dye to use in DNA electrophoresis?

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Aug 29 12:32:20 EST 1997

Lou Cantolupo (CANTOLUPO at GENVEC.COM) wrote:

: Orange-G is the one to go with.  It runs at about 100bp on a 1% gel (a
: little faster than bromo blue).  Make it up like a bromo blue dye but
: use twice as much orange-g.  Be carefull with acridine orange; it's just
: like ethidium bromide and has the same intercolation properties (i.e.
: it's a big nasty).
:
: Does anyone know of any other colors to run on a gel, mainly between
: xylene cyanol and bromo blue?  I'm trying to make a spectrum of dyes
: just for fun!  <the boss doesn't know about this!!!!>

I live by Amaranth...and I have several variations of rainbow mixes
that I use.

Check out this article:

@article{Hengen1995Maytibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Agarose gel electrophoresis in your kitchen",
volume = "20",
number = "5",
pages = "202-203",
month = "May",
year = "1995"}

It's on the net linked from my homepage.

-Paul.

* - - Methods FAQ list -> http://www-lmmb.ncifcrf.gov/~pnh/FAQlist.html - - - *