How does DNA stick to glass beads? Does RNA do the same?

D.L.Clarke dlc22 at cornell.edu
Mon Dec 1 10:51:15 EST 1997

When using silica based technologies (eg Glass Milk, Stratagene) to extract DNA
what is the interaction involved which allows the  nuclear material to
bind?  Is it an anionic interaction, solely based on charge?

We  are looking  at the absolute requirement for a fungal plant pathogen
to attach to a hydrophobic surface before germination can proceed.  This
can be induced in vitro using glass beads which are  hydrophobic.  We are
proposing to extract RNA, by disrupting the hyphae and the spores in situ,
using a bead beater and Triazol reagent (acid/phenol).  Thus allowing us
to produce a differential library.

Therefore, my question is will the RNA stick to the glass beads similar to
DNA and will the  hydophobic/ hydrophillic nature of two types of beads
bind RNA?  Obviously, we do not want any of the RNA to bind, so will extra
wash or elution step be required?

Many thanks

Dave Clarke

dlc22 at cornell.edu