Q: Need your opinion on fluorometer

Alexander Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Sat Dec 20 08:32:48 EST 1997

In article <34992AB1.FC1481D9 at staff.uiuc.edu>, Sergei Krasnyanski
<ksergei at staff.uiuc.edu> wrote:

> Currently we are looking for the fluorometer to buy, to use as a routine
> tool  to
> quantitate DNA and for GUS assays. I found two different models:
> - VersaFluor Cuvette Fluorometer from Bio-Rad;
> - Hoefer DyNA Quant 200 from Pharmacia Biotech.
> And I was wondering if somebody could give me any comments about either
> one of them. We used to have the older model of Hoefer (TKO 100), so I
> know very
> well about this one.
> I would greatly appreciate if you could send me your opinions based on
> the experience, even if you have some other model.

We had TKO100 for 4 years and used it to quantify DNA. Half a year ago we
replaced it with the DyNAquant and use it for the same purpose. The new one
only has a different user interface, which essentially is for complete dummies
and tells you what to do next on a small LCD screen; it also zeroes and
calibrates itself in a different way from the old one. Otherwise I did not
notice a difference in consistency. TKO was known to drift the zero point with
time, while on the new device you do not see it as it zeroes every time you
are about to add a new sample. As a means to quantitate DNA I think it is the
best value-for-money fluorimeter there is. You may miss, however, the ability
to quantitate RNA, available with more expensive instruments having a set of
filters (i.e. Turner's)
Cheers,
Alex

--