Thermo Cycler Recommendations

Wolfgang Schechinger wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Dec 29 08:31:31 EST 1997

Hi Sarah,

We have several Techne Genius in our labs here. Thy're fast and
reliable.
I use mine for ligations, digests and so on, too. It
doesn't make lots of noise (i.e. it's almost silent) and consumes not
much space. I have an old needle printer attached to it for checking
newly programmed methods.

One disadvantage for me is that you can't use those tubes on stripes
when you have many samples to process. But maybe I only don't have
the right block or don't know 'bout the right tubes. And that my
block holds only 20 tubes. Sometimes I wish the control panel has
only 8 keys for programming. Setting up new methods is very logical
and intuitive. It only would be faster if the machine had a numerical
keypad for entering values directly and not by pressing cursor keys
endlessly. I also miss a gradient block too when evualuating new
primers. But if co(i)nsider the price. I would recommend it to
you.
Hybaid recently got a new new cycler in their program I would
like to work with (that would meet many of my requirements described
here), but I think it's a bit more expensive, so about 6kBucks.

PS.We had a thermo block breakdown lately, and we got a free exchange
cycler within three days while the other was serviced in the UK)

A Happy New Year!

Wolfi

> Let me renew an old thread....
> I plan to purchase a PCR Cycler for my laboratory and am considering
> models that allow the blocks to be interchanged. I am most
> interested in the Techne Genius (seems versatile, speedy and the
> price is right) but am also considering the Biometra UnoII and the
> MJ PTC100. I'd appreciate any and all comments on this machines and
> other possible alternates.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sarah
> ___ Sarah K. Highlander, Ph.D       Department of Microbiology
> (__==__)        email: sarahh at bcm.tmc.edu
>   & Immunology                 (oo)       *  Voice: 713-798-6311
> Baylor College of Medicine      \/-------/   FAX    713-798-7375 One
> Baylor Plaza                 ||    || Houston, TX  77030-3498
>   ||    ||

-----
This message is RNAse free - please don't touch!
-----
Wolfgang Schechinger
University of Tuebingen
email: wgschech at med.uni-tuebingen.de
http://www.medizin.uni-tuebingen.de/~wgschech/research.htm
-------
!Junk mail is *not* appreciated!
SPAMs will be answered automatically by sending my 128MByte virtual memory file.
This is *NO* joke.
------
usual disclaimers apply
------