Number of Bacteria per plate?

TJ tjc at itsa.ucsf.edu
Mon Feb 3 20:58:58 EST 1997

I was wondering if someone has experience with trying to maximize
the number of bacteria plated per LB agar or similar plate. I am trying
to electroporate a library into E coli and plate out the resistant
bacteria to prevent mutant overgrowth.

I am wondering how many seperate clones can selected and grow per plate.
For example, I  think in the past I electroporated a ligation and was
able to see appoximately 10^6 individual Amp and Cm resistant colonies
on a 15cm^2 plate.

Any help, thoretical or practical would be appreciated.

thanks
tj

T. J. Cradick
UCSF Immunology