Boehringer DIG experiences

Andrew Bettany andrew.bettany at
Tue Feb 4 05:25:26 EST 1997

> To: methods at
> From: kferri at (Karen Ferri)
> Subject: Boehringer DIG system experiences
> Date: 2 Feb 1997 03:30:48 GMT
> HI everyone!
> I am currently trying Boehringer's DIG Labeling and Detection kit b/c
> I'd
> like for our lab to switch over (me, at least) to non-radioactive
> probing.
> The instructions call for positively charged nylon membranes. The one
> we
> have in lab is by Amersham and I imagine it is uncharged, since it
> didn't
> say anything on the box or instructions.
> I did my control labeled DNA filter and the spots are black. This was
> on
> the Amersham filter. SO is a positively charged filter truly needed?
> I'd
> like to find out others' experiences before I go through the trouble
> of
> preparing a membrane with my experimental DNA
> TIA,
> Karen
Dear Karen,

I have recently switched to the Boehringer DIG system for probing
Southerns of plant DNA. My limited experience is that the Boehringer
membrane works best for me. I have tried BioRad's Zetaprobe and got just
background, but I haven't tried anything else. What about calling
Boehringer and asking them for a sample of their membrane?

Andy Bettany