Boehringer DIG system experiences

Ed Rybicki ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
Tue Feb 4 14:47:55 EST 1997

Karen Ferri wrote:

> HI everyone!
>
> I am currently trying Boehringer's DIG Labeling and Detection kit b/c I'd
> like for our lab to switch over (me, at least) to non-radioactive probing.
>
> The instructions call for positively charged nylon membranes.  The one we
> have in lab is by Amersham and I imagine it is uncharged, since it didn't
> say anything on the box or instructions.
>
> I did my control labeled DNA filter and the spots are black.  This was on
> the Amersham filter.  SO is a positively charged filter truly needed?  I'd
> like to find out others' experiences before I go through the trouble of
> preparing a membrane with my experimental DNA
We have been using Boehringer's DIG system since 1988 - and have used
all sorts of membrane, including theirs and Amersham's (chargd and
uncharged) and nitrocellulose.  All work.  Boehringer's probably works
best, but I don't personally think it worth the expense.
--
                     Ed Rybicki, PhD
      Dept Microbiology     |   ed at molbiol.uct.ac.za
   University of Cape Town  | rybicki at uctvms.uct.ac.za
   Private Bag, Rondebosch  |  phone: x27-21-650-3265
      7700, South Africa    |   fax: x27-21-689 7573
    WWW URL: http://www.uct.ac.za/microbiology/ed.html

    "Out here on the perimeter, there are no stars..."