pH for RNA work

Wed Feb 5 15:07:42 EST 1997

At 10:35 2/5/97 -0800, Shi-Jye Chu wrote:

>   I do not think so. It is only a crude guide. You must adjust with PH
>meter or paper.
>
>S-J

True!   I agree completely.  Although good for a first approximation, the
Tris-Base/HCL combination like the mono- and di-phosphate buffers, can be
mixed per the Sigma or Isco tables.  They are not absolute by any means but
often I find them as much as +/- 0.15 pH unit off.  However, adjusting that
difference is much better than trying to pH Tris Base to 6.8 as some do...

David