RNA from tiny amounts of tissue?

John Watson watson_j at bms.com
Wed Feb 5 16:29:35 EST 1997

I find myself in the position of having to make RNA from tiny amounts of
mouse vascular tissue for some RT-PCR.  Normally, for rat vessles, we
pulverize the frozen tissue, and follow with homogenization in TriZol
(they cannot be homogenized directly -- they are too tough).  However, I
am concerned about these sub-milligram mouse tissues (anterior cerebral
arteries and tail arteries).  Does anyone have any idea how far the
TriZol type preps can be scaled down?  Or does anyone have any other
good ideas for working with very small amounts of tissue?

Thanks in advance,

AJW
John Watson
Bristol-Myers Squibb Co.