GFP and FITC

Andrew Doherty A.Doherty at Bris.ac.uk
Thu Feb 6 03:39:40 EST 1997

Danny Altschuler wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is any GFP mutant that shows a spectrum shift,
> so I could discriminate between GFP and FITC fluorescence???
> Thanks
> Danny
>
> Please e-mail me to:\
> altschul at med.unc.edu
A recent "Science" paper detailing the 3D structure of GFP also haad
info on a series of mutants, one of which had true red-shifted
fluorescence parameters. I think the emission was at 526nm, and
excitation at 513nm. The mutant was T203Y/S65G/V68L/S72A. The paper was
Ormo et al. Science (1996) vol 27; 1392-1395 Crystal Structure of the
Aequorea victoria Green Fluorescent Protein. It may be possible to use
this, which is the only one other than the Blue Fluorescent Protein from
Tsien that I'm aware of that can be distinguished from FITC.

Hope it helps

Andy D

Dr Andrew Doherty		email -  a.doherty at bris.ac.uk
Dept. Anatomy			Tel (0117)9287421
School of Medical Sciences	Fax (0117)9287402
University of Bristol
University Walk
Bristol UK
BS8 1TD