Silver Staining Reveals Contaminating Bands in Sample Buffer

Achim Recktenwald, PhD achim at ibex.ca
Fri Feb 7 08:49:08 EST 1997

Tom Buckley wrote:

> Dear Readers,
>         I am looking for a way to get rid of 2 contaminating bands in one
> of the reagents in SDS Page sample buffer. These bands are visible on
> silver stained gels. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a
> similar experience and has solved this problem. Email replies can be sent
> to klnelson at uvic.ca
> Thanks

Are those bands in the 60 - 66kDa range?  If yes, then you have just
re-discovered a famous beta-mercaptoethanol effect, so far,
unexplainable in its chemistry.

Your sample buffer or your BME or both are probably to old. Therefore I
would recommend to prepare fresh buffer. When BME oxidizes it gets
yellow and has to be discarded.

Achim