superantigen genes.help.alternative method to Southern hybridisation sought

Frans and Magda van Gils muka at muka.co.nz
Fri Feb 7 14:13:01 EST 1997

Superantigen toxins are thought to be causatively involved generating sepsis.

For the past year I have been trying to determine the prevalence of individual staphylococcal
superantigen genes in S. aureus clinical samples using Southern hybridisation.
I've tried both DIG (digoxigenin incorporation into probe followed by immunodetection) and
radioactive labelling techniques.

To no avail. Probes generated -despite extended purification- lacked specificity or were
unreliable, results were difficult to reproduce and background problems persisted.
problems.

I have a week left to write up this project as part of a Masters of Medical Science dissertation and to
come up with alternatives to the Southern hybridisation techniques used. help? suggestions? references? maybe PCR based analysis?

Dominiek Baetens
muka at muka.co.nz