Qustion on Ammonium sulfate and other precipitation methods

Sat Feb 8 13:58:00 EST 1997

In article <2cjcd5.en1.ln at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de>,
   krasel at wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de (Cornelius Krasel) wrote:
->Rajesh Krishnamurthy (krishnam at umbc.edu) wrote:
->> I was reading about a problem with precipitating proteins using ammonium
->> sulfate. The protein that precipitated became insoluble. IS this expected
->> to happen with ammonium sulfate?
->
->It's not expected to happen but it may happen. Insoluble protein is
->most likely denatured.

Exactly. I'd just add that for most membrane-spanning proteins
denaturation upon precipitation should be expected.

- Dima

      __
     / /\         Dima Klenchin
    / /  \