Q: purifying lambda phage from extraneous DNA

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 7 11:16:51 EST 1997

In article <jpcd0-0702971512460001 at mje-mac5.welc.cam.ac.uk>, John Dixon
<jpcd0 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk> writes
>Can you PEG ppt a dilute lambda library and resuspend in a smaller volume
>of SM buffer and use it without worrying about the higher PEG
>concentration?

It was a only a thought. Would the PEG really be too high for infection.
There is a protocol for making E.coli competent with PEG at I think a
final concn of 10% or so. If that is the case a little bit of PEG
shouldn't hur

>Some of my older library stocks seem to be dwindling in titre and are now
>too dilute, but I have enough mls to reconstitute it if I could
>concentrate it down to 1ml from 50 or so mls.

What about putting them a dialysis tube and concn. against solid PEG.
The PEG will not go across the membrane but watch it closely - it is
very easy to concn. to dryness!!

Duncan

sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark