Aliquoting Antibodies for freezing - HELP!

Pete bss3pk at surrey.ac.uk
Mon Feb 10 07:04:39 EST 1997

"Jen Robertson" <jvrobert at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

>I hope someone can give me advice on how to aliquot polyclonal IgG. I've
>been told to use 100% glycerin with added sodium azide. BUT the problem is
>that the glycerin is so gummy by the time the whole amount gets sucked into
>the pipette (250ul). I need help  on this!!!! Any other suggestions. Please
>email.

>Jen :)

>jvrobert at uoguelph.ca

Sorry about following-up on this post so late, but it has only just
made it onto my server.

... Not only that but I'm got going to answer your actual question.

I never freeze my antibodies. They are all stored at 2-4 deg C with
sodium azide added to 0.1%.

I am still using antibodies stored in this way which I made >15 years
ago (with little apparent loss in titre).

There are several reasons for adopting this strategy, and they
include:

	it works.
	its cheaper.
	no freeze thawing - ever (and see below)
	a (temporary) fridge breakdown is less catastophic than in freezer
	access to as much or little of your stock as you need
	moving labs with your precious stock is less fraught ..... :)

hope this helps

Pete