mean stacking temp. algorithm

Les Hoffman lhoffman at midplains.net
Mon Feb 10 13:30:26 EST 1997

Hello to the Tm calculators :

In 1990 Biotechniques vol.8 (6), pp. 674-678, R.A. McGraw et al.
presented a method for calculating the melting point of oligos based on
nearest-neighbor interactions of the bases.  We have found the
hybridization temperatures calculated manually with their methods give
very accurate estimates of the Tm of oligos around 20 bases long. We
cannot, however, find a source for the software for the algorithms for
mean stacking temperature and "T50-hyb", the Tm.  Doing these
calculations by hand seems a little ridiculous.  Does anyone out there
know where we can download or obtain the software?

Thanks,
Les Hoffman
Epicentre Technologies Corp.
1202 Ann Street