DNA recovery by phenol/chloroform extraction or GeneClean

Frank O. Fackelmayer fof1 at chclu.chemie.uni-konstanz.de
Mon Feb 10 10:52:20 EST 1997

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95L.970209222612.22253B-100000 at uststf2>, Wilson
<netson at uxmail.ust.hk> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>         I would like to know which method can recovery DNA from agarose
> gel is better: Phenol/chloroform extraction or GeneClean?  Which one can
> have higher yield of recovery and purity of DNA?
>         Should I vortex the mixture during phenol/chloroform since I have
> heard that if the sticky ends DNA was vortexed, they will screw up
> together.  What is the solution to this problem if DNA screw up?  Can I
> solve it by incubation of the DNA at 65C for 15 min?
>
> Wilson

There are several kits or reagents available for purifying DNA fragments
from agarose gels. In my hands, GeneClean in not one of the best. However,
it´s much better then phenol extraction with molten agarose (Brrrrr!). I
use low melting point agarose and beta-agarase, which always performs well
and is not too expensive (yield >90% is normal).

Hope this helps,
Frank

PS: What do you mean with "DNA will screw up together"?

--
Dr. Frank O. Fackelmayer
Division of Biology