painful gel loading???!!!!!!

martin LEACH leach at bu.edu
Mon Feb 10 14:06:43 EST 1997

J. Owen McCall (owen.mccall at abbott.com) wrote:
: xudong huang wrote:
: >
: > I have a painful problem about agarose gel loading. The DNA samples do
: > not stay at the bottom of wells, intead, they float out of wells and
: > diffuse into the buffer. The loading buffer I use is 6XBPB, the gel
: > running buffer is 1X TBE. It is not because of air bubbles or oil

: Note that if your DNA was purified using Qiagen, unless you took special
: care to avoid it, there can be residual ethanol in your samples that
: results in a lowering of sample density and the propensity to float up
: out of the wells.  Just add more loading buffer to increase the density
: of the sample.

also.....if you have excessive salt you will see this 'fountain effect'
as a test...add some loading dye to loading buffer and try loading...

scared the crap out of me when I first encountered this years ago!!!

.....          Martin Leach                Email:leach at bu.edu
 _/  |-/__==/  80 E. Concord St. (L603)
                                             head.....WIBBLE"

My homepage: http://www.tradesmart.com/martin/Leach.html