how to identify a gene on human chromsome 11

K-John Cheung kjohn at sfu.ca
Tue Feb 11 18:53:31 EST 1997

hi, our lab has previously found that insertion of human chromosome 11 into bladder cancer cells can protect them from H2O2 damage as assessed by MicroNuclei
staining technique. although the levels of catalse (the catalase gene is situated on chromosome 11) have clearly increased in hte cels with the chromosome
insert, we have reasons to believe that other regions of this chromsome are
responsible for this protective phenotype. now, we have used differential
display to blindly find something that might be of interest to us but so far, nono luck. even if we find something, that may not be on chromosome 11. so if we
insist on finding that gene(s) on this chromosome, what techniques are
recommended??
RDA, representation difference analysis, sounds kinda good but i am sure how
reliable and productive it is.
any comments would be appreciated.

kjohn
BC Cancer Research Center & Simon Fraser University, Carcinogenesis Laboratory
BC, Canada