Error rate in Taq pol. 1:270?

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Tue Feb 11 12:27:36 EST 1997

Dr. Duncan Clark (duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk) wrote:

> Anyone have a formula for actually calculating the real no. of errors
> one would see after so many cycles for a fixed target size. I use a
> published one for determining fidelity (similar to Wayne's) on a lacI
> assay but my algebra is not good enough to know how to reverse the
> formala and for a given error rate get an actual. no. of errors for so
> many cycles for a fixed target size. It would be nice to have a table in
> the FAQ showing no. of errors to be expected after say 10, 15, 20, 25
> and 30 cycles for targets of 100, 500, 1000, 2500bp etc. Any offers?

Maybe there is something useful in this paper:

@article{Dunning1988,
author = "A. M. Dunning
     and P. Talmud
     and S. E. Humphries",
title = "Errors in the polymerase chain reaction",
journal = "Nucleic Acids Res.",
volume = "16",
number = "21",
pages = "10393",
comment = "polymerase fidelity",
year = "1988"}

If someone were to send me the FAQ and answer, I'll gladly update the
FAQ list to include it. Unfortunately, the FAQ list does need an update
but I am cleaning up to leave here soon and I can't get to it at the moment.
BTW, I am still looking for a new place to work :-)