nylon mesh for hybridizations

Marilyn Bakker Marilyn.Bakker at med.monash.edu.au
Thu Feb 13 20:02:29 EST 1997

Marc Cortese wrote:

> Fellow Netters,
>
> I have always used fine pieces of nylon mesh to separate the membranes
> from the glass and from each other when hybridizing in tubes.  I am now
> working in a different lab and new to purchase some for use there.  Can
> anyone supply me with a source of these membranes?  All I can remember is
> that the manufacturer is located in the southern United States and that
> the mesh is very expensive.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

> Marc Cortese                                  Lab: (208) 885-9431
> IMAGE                                        Home: (208) 882-8810
> University of Idaho                           Fax: (208) 885-6518
> Moscow, ID  83843                     e-mail: corte922 at uidaho.edu
>                      aug aug gcc cgc ugc uaa
 I use Nytal nylon screen. They sell a big range of pore sizes. I have
tried 100 micron and 150 micron, the latter being a bit heavier and
giving a little less background.
 Sold by "swiss screens" Branches in all states of Australia.
Country of origin info. is
Schweiz. Seidengazefabrik AG Thal
Ch-9425 Thal/SG
Schweiz/Switzerland
Telephon 071-440144
Telefax 071-445527
Telex 882010 sst ch

There should be a branch in the US somewhere,  they sell it by the
metre, and it is heaps cheaper than getting it from the agents for
hyb.ovens.
Good Luck.