in search of "Stains-All" staining protocol

Thu Feb 13 15:34:40 EST 1997

At 02:30 PM 2/13/97 +0100, doering_t at mpimg-berlin-dahlem.mpg.de wrote:
>Hi netters!
>
>I searching for protocols for staining proteins
>and/or nucleic acids with "Stains-All". I still have
>the substance, but I didn't find any protocol.
>We want to use it (if this is possible) for staining
>of proteins and RNA simultaneously in following the
>process of purification of a nucleic binding protein.
>
>Ciao
>THOMAS

I do not have the reference handy, but this is what I used to do:

Reagents:
        A: 25% 2-propanol
        B: 0.1% StainsAll in formamide
        C: 10mL B + 10mL formamide + 50mL 2-propanol + 3mL 1M Tris (pH8.8) ---> to 200mL with dH2O.

Following electrophoresis: Agitate gel in 'A' for 15 min. Stain for a few hrs to O/N in C. Destain in dH2O.

The sensitivity is said to be about 300pmole of -PO4(+3).

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, NM 88003