Inexpensive Oligo Purification?

The Great American Gene Company geneco at ix.netcom.com
Sat Feb 15 01:56:00 EST 1997

In article <nc1-1402971915580001 at phanes94.mc.duke.edu>,
	nc1 at acpub.duke.edu (Namjin Chung) wrote:

>To tag an endogenous yeast gene, I'm going to PCR whose product will be
>MFG-HA-URA3-HA-MFG, where MFG is my favorite gene, and HA is hemagglutinin
>epitope (Ref: Schneider BL et al. (1995) Yeast 11, 1265).
>
>Oligos for this PCR are about 60-70 bases in length and require HPLC
>purification to prevent frameshift due to n-1, n, n+1, ... of impure oligo
>ends.  My question here is that since HPLC purification is quite expensive
>in cost-wise, is there any reasonable way to reduce cost for primers?  I
>would appreciate your comments.
>

>Namjin Chung, who knows little and asks a lot!
>Program in Molecular Cancer Biology
>Duke University Medical Center
>Durham, North Carolina

 Dear Namjin Chung:

I am afraid that my suggestion will not be any less expensive, but may
prevent you from spending scarce research dollars unwisely. HPLC
purification is not very effective for oligos in the range you mention. I
would suggest that if length homogeneity is a must, that you PAGE purify
your oligos. If you do the work yourself, it is not much more expensive than
the labor you will put into it. Many companies offer the service, but it is
costly.

Best Regards!
Mike