DNA recovery by phenol/chloroform extraction or GeneClean

Paul Dunman dunman at njmsa.UMDNJ.EDU
Sat Feb 15 14:18:33 EST 1997

goldberg at bms.com (Steven Goldberg) writes:

>In article <Pine.GSO.3.95L.970209222612.22253B-100000 at uststf2>, Wilson
><netson at uxmail.ust.hk> wrote:

>> Hello everybody,
>>         I would like to know which method can recovery DNA from agarose
>> gel is better: Phenol/chloroform extraction or GeneClean?  Which one can
>> have higher yield of recovery and purity of DNA?
>>         Should I vortex the mixture during phenol/chloroform since I have
>> heard that if the sticky ends DNA was vortexed, they will screw up
>> together.  What is the solution to this problem if DNA screw up?  Can I
>> solve it by incubation of the DNA at 65C for 15 min?
>>
>> Wilson

>After lots of problems using GeneCleaned DNA in ligations, I switched to
>the QIAquick gel extraction kit and have had very good luck in terms of
>yield and purity.

>Steve

I too have used QIAquick gel extraction kit with very good results.  I've
not ran into ligation problems.  However, occassionally the kit denatures
small fragments so check your extracted product on a gel.  If denaturing
occurs simply reanneal the fragments.

Paul D.