Pfu polymerase in PCR

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at
Mon Feb 17 05:08:32 EST 1997

In article <5dt4ar$985 at>, Colin Dolphin
<c.t.dolphin at> writes
>I wouldn¹t be surprised if the
>sequence fidelity is also on a par with PFU alone (althugh I¹ve not
>tested this as I can¹t amplfify with Pfu alone !)

Results I have seen published with mixes using Taq and a proof-reading
enzyme all give around the same increase in fidelity ie approx 3 fold.
Figures for Pfu on its own versus Taq vary from 10 to 12 fold

I'd still like to know what accessory proteins Taq pol uses when
replicating the Thermus genome. With the poor error rates for Taq, it's
genome would be copied very inaccurately. Of course it may yet be that
Thermus has an E.coli like Pol III enzyme system for replication but
maybe we won't know this until the whole Thermus genome has been

sliced from time to time....

Dr. Duncan Clark
DNAmp Ltd.
TEl/FAX 01252376288