Gene organization

Sigurd Ørstavik sigurd.orstavik at basalmed.uio.no
Mon Feb 17 19:56:29 EST 1997

Hi, I have a question on gene organization.

I have seen several papers on genes (or protein encoding sequence) found in
introns of other genes, but can two genes be found within the same DNA
fragment, with an exon from gene A separating exons from gene B and vice
versa? To illustrate it i will make a simple Ascii figure:

-------A2--------B1----------A1------------B1------

where -- is intron sequence, A1 and A2 are exons encoding protein A, and B1
and B2 are exons encoding protein B. The two "genes" are transcribed from
opposite strands of the DNA. Theoretically it is possible, but have anyone
seen a paper on anything like this described in the human genome/other
eucaryotes? (I need it for a lecture..)

Sincerely,
Sigurd Orstavik
Instiute of Medical Biochemistry