Disposal of Hoechst waste

Rolf Marteijn rolf at lx.student.wau.nl
Mon Feb 17 14:28:56 EST 1997

Hi,

Something that removes much of EtBr from solutions -and probably also
other waste like BBI- is the following:

Store the solutions containing EtBr in some big bottle (one of those big
ones (2500ml) in which eg EtOH comes).
When the bottle is almost full, place a stirrbar in there (have one
stirbar reserved for those purposes), place a 'teabag' with activated
charcoal in there (can't find a dealer right now, but there are several)
and stir it eg over a weekend. The teabag can be stored with the
chemical waste and the water can go in the sink.

> I would suggest to put it to the organic waste to be incinerated.
> Since there are now some colum-devices to extract ethidium bromide
> from solns, they might be effective for BBI, too. But I haven't tried
> this yet. If you have one handy, it might be easy to prove it.
> Passing the soln after neutralizing through a strong anionic resin
> (-SO3) should remove the dye, too.

Just my .02,

Rolf Marteijn