E. coli (Bl21DE3) lyses automatically

Albert Crescenzo atc at TRNA.CHEM.YALE.EDU
Tue Feb 18 13:08:28 EST 1997

	Our lab has had several problems with this.  The e.coli does not
like to express this particular protein.  Two things happen usually.  One,
the cells loose the plasmid (with amp selection) or they lyse.  try
switching to a vector that has kan instead of amp.  Also, try minmal
amounts of IPTG or don't induce at all (even the tightest repression is
leaky).  Slow the growth rate of the cells by growing in minimal media or
with very slow shaking (<100rpm).  Always use fresh transformants.  do not
store them on a plate.  keep the plasmid and trnsform for each expression
experiment.  hope this helps.

Albert Crescenzo
Yale University
Dept. MB&B, Bass Rm 233