Transient transfection of Cos-7 (electroporation v DEAE dextran)

Kevin A. Mulcahy K.Mulcahy at sheffield.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 11:41:10 EST 1997

Hi,

does anyone have any experience with transient transfection of Cos-7
cells? I have attempted a DEAE-dextran/chloroquine based procedure but
only succeeded in transfecting 20-30% of the cells with a ß-gal reporter
plasmid (tested 24 hours post transfection). Does anybody else succeed
in obtaining efficiencies much higher than this (say 50-70%)?

Also, does anyone have any experience of using electroporation for the
transient transfection of Cos-7 cells? If so, could you please let me
know what electroporation conditions you use and what transfection
efficiencies you are able to obtain.

Many thanks,

Kevin Mulcahy