Stop codon read-through?

Rafael Maldonado rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu
Tue Feb 18 18:08:44 EST 1997

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Harris Laboratory wrote:

> Is there any evidence for read-through on a UAG stop codon? If so what
> examples are available?

Yes. In the Moloney Murine Leukemia Virus (MuLV). Check Wills et al (1991),
PNAS 88:6991-95.

> We have a cDNA sequence that contains an addition of 45 bp.  This
> causes an codon shift that results in a premature stop codon.  This
> should yield a 11 kDa protein when translated.  However in in vitro
> translation system, a 59 kDa protein is generated & detected via
> Western analysis.

Is there no trace of the predicted 11 KDa protein? Most of the readtrough
cases are not 100%.

> Any help would be appreciated.

We would be very interested in helping you. Taking a look to the
actual sequence could be very helpful; there could be several recoding
signals involved.

Rafa

Rafael Maldonado                             | 'No te creas todo
room 6160 Eccles Institute of Human Genetics |  lo que leas en
Department of Human Genetics		     |  internet.'
University of Utah			     |
Salt Lake City, Utah 84112. USA.	     |  "Don't believe
Rafael.Maldonado at genetics.utah.edu           |  everything you read
Rafael at howard.genetics.utah.edu	             |  in internet."
Tel: 801-581-4429			     |
Fax: 801-585-3910			     |