pH of water; dissolving RNA

Hildur V. Colot hildur.v.colot at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Tue Feb 18 19:16:45 EST 1997

Can someone enlighten me on the pH to be expected of, say. Milli-Q
water?  I'm in a new lab and I swear that RNA pellets are not dissolving
as well as they used to.  The pH of the water (after autoclaving) is 6.3
on a meter and from 5 to 6 on different pH strips.  Is it a really bad
idea to dissolve the RNA in TE at pH 7.5 before running it on a
formaldehyde gel?  I will also refrain from drying it in a Speedvac,
something I used to do without any problem.