translational control ??

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Tue Feb 18 17:04:45 EST 1997

In article
<1.5.4.32.19920216003444.0066b328 at cc.kmc.edu.tw>,
u8251012 at CC.KMC.EDU.TW says...

>Dear netter:
>Some annoying probrems !!Please give me advices
>
>eg.
>drug A induced increased level of TGF-beta protein
>but do not induced increased expression of TGF-beta mRNA
>How can I approach the translational control ??
>It Seems not by nuclear runon/off or mRNA halflife assay ?
>..

TGFbeta protein requires post translational activation by cleavage
by eg. urokinase.  Are you selectively looking at the *active*
form of TGFbeta (and ignoring the latent form)?  If so your
mystery drug could simply be increasing the activation
rather than having any effects on mRNA at the post-transcriptional
level.
	A way to address this would be to assay the latent
and active forms and see if there is actually an increase
in total TGFbeta or simply an interconversion.
	I hope that this helps,
		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.