multiplying bands in gel purification

Jill Kellogg jkellogg at epitope.com
Wed Feb 19 18:44:59 EST 1997

John G. Luz wrote:

> Folks--I'm tearing my hair out.  I cut a nice clean tight band out of a
> gel, and purified it with the qiagen gel extraction kit.  But when I ran
> the gel-purified band out on a gel to check my yield, I got two bands,
> both about equimolar.  One band looked about the right size.  The other
> looked about 1kb smaller.  The band I gel-purified was 5.4 kb and cut
> with NdeI and Xho.  What's going on?--John

Just for a lark test the pH of your loading buffer.  You may be denaturing your
DNA.

J Kellogg
Research Assoc.
Agritope, Inc.
Beaverton OR

All comments/opinions in this message are solely those of the sender,
and do not necessarily reflect the views of Epitope, Incorporated
or any of its subsidiaries.