pH of water; dissolving RNA

Alex Dobrovic adobrovic at medicine.adelaide.edu.au
Wed Feb 19 03:07:04 EST 1997

One would expect water to be somewhat acid as atmospheric carbon dioxide
dissolves to form a very weak soltion of carbonic acid. So, I wouldn't
worry about the pH of your water-it normally pHs in this range.

>To: methods at net.bio.net
>From: hildur.v.colot at Dartmouth.EDU ("Hildur V. Colot")
>Subject: pH of water; dissolving RNA
>Date: 18 Feb 1997 16:16:45 -0800
>Sender: daemon at net.bio.net
>
>Can someone enlighten me on the pH to be expected of, say. Milli-Q
>water?  I'm in a new lab and I swear that RNA pellets are not dissolving
>as well as they used to.  The pH of the water (after autoclaving) is 6.3
>on a meter and from 5 to 6 on different pH strips.  Is it a really bad
>idea to dissolve the RNA in TE at pH 7.5 before running it on a
>formaldehyde gel?  I will also refrain from drying it in a Speedvac,
>something I used to do without any problem.

Alexander Dobrovic, Ph. D.
Chief Scientist
Department of Haematology-Oncology
The Queen Elizabeth Hospital
Woodville, SA 5011, Australia

Affiliate Senior Lecturer
Department of Medicine
University of Adelaide

Tel 61-8-8222 6884
Fax 61-8-8222 6046 (note new numbers as of August 1996)