dam-/dcm- bugs and mutations??

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 19 11:45:18 EST 1997

In article <5e2s4i$20c8 at piglet.cc.uic.edu>, Victor Levenson
<levenson at uic.edu> writes
>I need to cut my construct with BclI and - therefore- have to put it
>through dam/dcm- strain (DM1, in my case). These bugs do not repair
>mismatches that occur during DNA replication (I assume that the
>enzymology of plasmid replication is the same as for the genomic DNA
>;-)).

If E.coli B which is naturally dcm - was mismatch repair minus it would
mutate horribly. I'm think you may be mixing up mutS, mutL mutations
with dam and dcm. I've never seen a report that says dam dcm- strains
are mismatch repair minus so I wouldn't worry.

For Bcl I, you just need dam-. Try JM110 or I think Stratagene have an
endA derivative.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark