Q:Measurement of protein's surface hydrophobicity?

Achim Recktenwald, PhD achim at ibex.ca
Wed Feb 19 11:13:42 EST 1997

We want to change the surface hydrophobicity of several proteins through
chemical modifications. 

My problem now is to find a method which allows me to measure the
protein's hydrophobicity and the changes achieved. So far, the best
solution I could come up with is to perform reversed-phase
chromatography. I would use the elution-shift during the gradient from
aqueous to organic solvent as a value for the change in hydrophobicity.

But I assume, I am not the first one to have this problem. Any better
methods available ?

Thanks for any hint.


P.S. Please email me an answer, as well (achim at ibex.ca); our
service-provider has too often problems with the usenet-server.

Achim Recktenwald, PhD
IBEX Technologies, Inc.
5485 rue Pare
Montreal, PQ, H4P 1P7

Phone: (514) 344-4004
Fax  : (514) 344-8827
email: achim at ibex.ca

More information about the Methods mailing list