refolding from inclusion bodies

Bob Steinberg RSTEINBE at ETOWAH.UOKHSC.EDU
Thu Feb 20 12:43:11 EST 1997

juhi juneja wrote:

> The mutant protein that I'm trying to purify is expressed in inclusion
> bodies. After solubilising in 8Murea,50%of the protein precipitates
> while dialysing out the urea. Is there any way to prevent precipitation
> and increase refolding yields?

You might try dialyzing against a buffer containing 40-50% glycerol--
this has worked well with one of the proteins we work with.  It is also a
good idea to include a scavanger for isocyanate in your urea solutions
(e.g., about 25 mM L-lysine) to prevent modification of your protein
and a reducing agent (e.g., 10 - 50 mM mercaptoethanol) to prevent
cysteine oxidation (and always make your urea solutions fresh from an
ultrapure preparation).