Pfu polymerase in PCR

Tom Duncan duncant at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu
Fri Feb 21 17:51:12 EST 1997

Dr. Duncan Clark wrote:

> In article <330B9556.41C6 at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu>, Tom Duncan
> <duncant at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu> writes
> >My main point was whether any references show that Pfu or other
> >proof-reading polymerases degrade primers in the single-stranded form
> >(that is, primers not annealed to their template).
>
> Check out Gene Vol 112, pp29-35 (1992) by Wayne Barnes. Bottom right of
> first page.
>
> Duncan

I checked out the above article, and he only cites his own unpublished
observations and an anonymous note in a newsletter from New England
Biolabs as suggesting cleavage of un-annealed primers. I'm still
doubtful, since excess primers could be depleted as annealed primers are
degraded and more primers have the opportunity to bind and be degraded.
--
	Thomas M. Duncan
	Dept. Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
	Email:	duncant at vax.cs.hscsyr.edu