Protein Extraction Buffers...What's a good homogenization buffer for westerns?

Malcolm M. Campbell malcolm.campbell at plants.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 21 04:06:02 EST 1997

Rob,

>I need a recipe for a good homogenization buffer for all kinds of animal
>tissues; especially nervous tissues...

Granted that I've only done this with bacterial and plant cells, but one
thing that works fabulously for extracting proteins for Westerns is just
to boil an "appropriate" quantity of tissue (you'll want to determine this
empirically the first go round) in either 1X or 2X Laemmli's or another
appropriate loading buffer for SDS PAGE (the conc. of Laemmli's will
depend on how "aqueous" your tissue is).  Boil and load.  That simple.

I hope this is useful.

Cheers,

Malcolm

Malcolm Campbell                 malcolm.campbell at plants.ox.ac.uk
Fibre Biotechnology Lab          44.1865.275135 (voice)
Department of Plant Sciences     44.1865.275074 (FAX)
University of Oxford
Oxford OX1 3RB, UK