dam-/dcm- bugs and mutations??

Dr. Duncan Clark duncan at genesys.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 21 08:41:38 EST 1997

In article <5ejtdt$b7d at scotsman.ed.ac.uk>, Chris Boyd
<chrisb at hgu.mrc.ac.uk> writes
>On the other hand, dam- mutants are defective in strand discrimination
>during mismatch repair and are therefore slightly more mutagenic than
>wild-type.  Not enough to worry about in practice, though, I think.

The sources of information on this newsgroup never ceases top amaze me.
I've used dam and dcm strains for a long time but have totally missed
the above. Your last comment on plasmid yield may also explain why my
JM110 lambda lysogen always gives me 2-3 fold less lambda than my W3110
lysogen.

Many thanks

Duncan

sliced from time to time....