How can I assay translational rate ??

Anton Scott Goustin asg at cmb.biosci.wayne.edu
Mon Feb 24 15:24:03 EST 1997

"Dr E. Buxbaum" <EB15 at le.ac.uk> wrote:
>u8251012 at cc.kmc.edu.tw wrote:
>
>>drug A induced increased level of TGF-beta protein
>>but do not induced increased expression of TGF-beta mRNA
>>

>>How can I approach the translational control ??
>>It Seems not by nuclear runon/off or mRNA halflife assay ?

This is a complicated question.  I'm not sure what you mean by level
of TGF-þ protein, mature secreted 25 kD TGF-beta or immature forms
such as the unprocessed or partially-processed precursor?

One mechanism of regulation critical in TGF-beta expression is at
the level of post-translational processing of the precursor.

If drug A does not induce the amount of TGF-beta precusor, it is
possible, but rather unlikely (in my opinion) that the drug is con-
trolling the recruitment of TGF-beta mRNA into polyribosomes.