quick question

Ulrich Melcher umelcher at biochem.okstate.edu
Mon Feb 24 10:07:34 EST 1997

What I tell my students is:  when folks started putting DNA into
mammalian cells, the word "transformation" was already in use in
mammalian cell work and referred to cells becoming anchorage independent
in their growth (cancerous, if you will).  As a result, what is
"transformation" in bacteria had to be called something else with
mammalian cell cultures.  "Transfection" has thus been used.

Ulrich Melcher                 umelcher at biochem.okstate.edu
Department of Biochemistry
  and Molecular Biology        Tel: 405-744-6210
246 NRC                        FAX: 405-744-7799
Oklahoma State University
Stillwater OK 74078-3035 USA
http://biochem.okstate.edu/faculty/~melcher/homepage.html