quick question

Bernard Murray bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Wed Feb 26 01:55:33 EST 1997

In article <5f03np$ssh at news.bu.edu>, leach at bu.edu says...

>Bernard Murray (bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov) wrote:
>
>: Transfection: Transient transfer of DNA to host
>: (plasmid into mammalian cells that is expressed but not selected)
>
>: Bernard Murray, Ph.D.
>: bernard at elsie.nci.nih.gov (National Cancer Institute, NIH, Bethesda MD,
USA)

>I disagree with your definition...since there is STABLE and TRANSIENT
>transfections.
>
>Stable transfection = when incorporated into the genome
>Transient = not incorporated
>
>just my thrupenny bit

Yes, this bothered me as well.  I only volunteered this variant in
the definition as the person who held the belief was adamant that they
were correct (there's nothing like working with a fanatic!).  This is
why I added the disclaimer to the effect that I myself didn't mind as
long as I knew what was being talked about when the subject came up.
	Personally, I liked the post to the effect that a transformation
should yield a change in phenotype as this betrays the roots of the
technique.  Otherwise, transformation = transfection with a colloquial
bias towards using the former for bacteria and the latter for eukaryotic
cells.
	Now, what other scientific terms can we make unclear...?

		Bernard

Bernard Murray, Ph.D.