blotting acrylamide gels

Jerry Kropp jkropp at itsa.ucsf.edu
Thu Feb 27 18:54:25 EST 1997

In article <33148983.70A1 at bms.com>, watson_j at bms.com wrote:

> Constable Julie Lynn wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone have a protocol for blotting DNA from an acrylamide gel onto a
> > nylon membrane?  I seem to recall that it is a fairly simple procedure,
> > like putting a moistened membrane on top of the gel with some weight on
> > top.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Julie,
I blot sequencing gels 'cause I employ non-R/A detection. I think it is
referred to as "dry" blotting: simply wet the memb. with water, lay it on
the gel still stuck to one plate, put a sheet of 3MM or the equivalent on
top, followed by the other glass plate. It transfers in 10 min.
Of course this is for a 0.25mm thick gel.
Doubt if that would work for anything much thicker...
Good luck,
Jerry

--
"If it ain't broke, it needs more features"-plagerized