Help

Guy McDonnell guymcd at asu.edu
Fri Feb 28 00:56:22 EST 1997

I am a chasing a degree in Bioengineering. As a result of legislative
decisions I am very limited in the number of classes I can take under
the finnacial-aid umbrella.  The result of this is that I end up in
upper division courses with out the pre-requisites other students enjoy.
Here is the question I am currently faced with:

You have discovered a protein (we will call it "protein X") that
is part of the detergent-resistant cytoskeleton that binds to
microtubules
in normal cells, but in cancerous cells this protein instead binds to
another cell protein referred to as beta-catenin.  I want you to design
an
experiment that maps the shift of protein X from microtubules to beta
catenin as a normal cell is converted into a cancerous cell.  Assume
that
you have an antibody to protein X.  Remember that experiments require
controls and that for data to be valid experiments must be replicated -
expect that your answer will also contain these parameters described in
detail.

I can safely make the assuption that it is possible to initiate the
conversion of a cell from normal to cancerous at will. Also, I am more
than willing to do the necessary research to fill in any gaps but have
no idea how to perform in-vivo cell analysis.
Can someone please get me started in the right dirction?