Northern blot RNA degradation

Klaus Salger salger at wap1.zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Thu Feb 27 20:20:58 EST 1997

Jos (Jos.Broers at molcelb.rulimburg.nl) wrote:
: Dear Reader,

: I am performing Northern blot hybridizations and wonder how sensitive
: RNA is for degradation after cross-linking to a Nylon (or
: nitrocellulose) membrane. Will this degradation interfere with
: hybridization efficiency? I am asking this since I use BSA in my
: hybridization solution which might contain RNase. Can I get rid of RNase
: in BSA?
: Many thanks for your response
: Jos

Jos,

crosslinking doesn't prevent degradation but if you keep the blot under
conditions where RNases aren't active you won't get any problems.
So, if you just hybridize, wash and then put the blot in the freezer you
don't need to care too much about RNases.

Cheers
  Klaus

--
Klaus Salger		phone : +49 (0)89 5902 	-502
Zoologisches Institut	FAX   :			-450
AG Wetterauer		e-mail: salger at zi.biologie.uni-muenchen.de
Luisenstr. 14
80333 Muenchen