Hot plasmid + Cold Vector = Insert-specific probe????

Alexander Kraev kraev at bc.biol.ethz.ch
Fri Feb 28 06:59:41 EST 1997

In article <prigge-ya023680002702971546450001 at pith.uoregon.edu>,
prigge at darkwing.uoregon.edu (Michael J. Prigge) wrote:

> I need to screen a cDNA library with a BAC with a ~100 kb insert.
> I thought I read somewhere that one could label the whole plasmid,
> then add lots of cold vector to the hyb solution. This might
> theoretically result in no hybridization to the vector sequences
> of the plaques.

A good procedure that can be easily adapted for your needs is described in
Nucleic Acids Res.,  vol. 23(6),  1085  (1995).  I used it once with
success, but
don't have much statistics ( who has it, other than those in a genome centre).

I hope this helps,

--
Alexander Kraev, PhD
Biochemie III, ETHZ Zurich