Which is sense/antisense

Paul N Hengen pnh at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Jan 10 16:30:00 EST 1997

Scott Cain (scain at sdcc3.ucsd.edu) wrote:

> When I want to design oligos that will hybridized with mRNA, and I
> have a probable sequence from Genbank, what do I consider sense and
> what is antisense?  I thought I knew the answer to this, but am now
> beginning to doubt myself.  I believe that I should consider the
> sequence given as the sense sequence, so if I design oligos from
> that, they should be antiparellel to them.  Is this correct?

What you should make is a DNA or RNA oligo that is the opposite
strand to the mRNA. Whether that is called sense or anti-sense with
respect to the cloned double-stranded cDNA is a matter of opinion.

@article{Hengen1996Aprtibs,
author = "P. N. Hengen",
title = "Methods and reagents - Is there any sense
in antisense terminology?",
volume = "21",
number = "4",
pages = "153-154",